Many mothers who enter pregnancy worry about gaining weight. Normally, during pregnancy, to ensure the development and health of the fetus, the mothers need to gain around 10kg. Of course, depending on each person’s physical condition, the weight will be different. So how can mothers safely gain weight during pregnancy?
In the first 3 months, moms should limit weight gain as little as possible. In the next 3 months, moms should implement from 300 – 350 calories per day. In the last 3 months, moms should implement from 400 to 450 calories each day.
BMI will help mothers know the standard of gaining weight most scientifically.
[BMI = weight (kg) / height 2 (m)]
TH1: Lightweight (BMI <19.8), the reasonable weight gain from 13-18kg
TH2: Average Weight (BMI 19.8 – 26) weight gain from 11 – 16kg
TH3: Overweight (BMI> 26) weight gain from 7-11kg
Normally, moms should gain from 1-1.5kg in the first 3 months and then 0.45kg per week. But if a mother is carrying twins, she should gain 0.7kg/week and should gain totally from 18-20kg and need about 3000-3500calo/day.
How to gain weight reasonably?
- Moms need to eat little but eat several different meals: During the early pregnancy, mothers will have morning sickness, indigestion, so easily face difficulties in eating. Dividing into 5 or 6 different meals per day will be a smart choice as it will help moms not gain too much weight but still ensure adequate nutrition.
- Drink plenty of water: This will help mothers reduce stress, reduce symptoms of nausea, detoxify moms’ bodies. Also, drinking water will help reduce cravings for sweet snacks and minimize leg swelling or cramps. Remember to drink at least 2 liters of water/day.
- Full breakfast is essential because after a long night the food has been digested, so if moms skip breakfast, moms will feel tired, adversely affecting the fetus.
- Get enough sleep: when moms often cannot sleep well, it easily triggers a number of disorders. Therefore, moms should try to get enough sleep, usually from 10 pm to 6 am the next morning.
- Minimize fast and sweet foods: moms should replace these foods with some nutritious fruits like bananas, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Eat slowly chew thoroughly
- Exercise regularly: moms should walk 30 minutes a day or yoga. It will help moms reduce stress.
The scientific and reasonable weight gain will help not only the fetus grow well but also mothers avoid the risk of complications during and after birth.