Deficiency of water in the body can adversely impact your health. When your body loses more than it consumes, it leads to dehydration. It can cause you tiredness, dizziness, and constipation. To stay away from these discomforts require you need to keep drinking water, and other healthy beverages at regular intervals throughout the day. This article will give you an idea of how much water should you drink during pregnancy.
Why water is so essential for the body?
Water is essential for normal processing of the body. It has a big role to play when you are pregnant.
- Staying hydrated aids your body in carrying the right amount of nutrition through the body to the baby.
- It aids in maintaining the safe levels of amniotic fluid in the body.
- Water is also essential to prevent bladder infections, swelling, and constipation.
- Dehydration can cause you bodily contractions, and cramps in muscles. These discomforts can be done away by drinking the right amounts of body on a daily basis.
Signs of dehydration
Your body has its own way of telling that you are dehydrated. If you relate to below signs, then it is a sign that you need to up your fluid intake.
- feeling thirsty
- reduced frequency of urinating
- dark-colored urine
- dry mouth and dry eyes
How much should I drink?
In a day, your ideal intake of fluids should be around 6 to 8 glasses of fluid. If the weather is too hot, or you are involved in physical activities, then you may need to drink a little more. Now let us see the right way to include fluids in the body.
Healthy drinks to consume during pregnancy
When it comes to staying hydrated, water is the considered to be healthiest drink that you should consume. It forms the major source of fluid intake by the body. A few other healthy options that helps in keeping the optimum fluid balance in the body are:
Fruit juice: Fruit are a rich source of minerals, and vitamins that are very much-needed in pregnancy. They are ideal inclusion for the sound growth of you, and your baby. Freshly prepared fruit juices with no added sugar, color, and preservative is advised for a pregnant woman. Avoid any processed canned form of fruit drinks that you get in stores.
The best way to consume fruit juice is to get some seasonal fruits of your choice, and prepare their juice at home. Some of the fruits that have plenty of water content are watermelon, muskmelon, and oranges.
Dairy products: Another good source of fluids is milk, and butter milk that offers iodine, vitamin B5, and calcium. To make it more flavorful, you can make a smoothie by adding combination fruits in them.
Flavored water: To add nutritional value to your plain water, you can add lemon, cucumber, mint leaves, ginger, and honey to it. Such type of water that is infused with the goodness of metabolism boosting foods refresh you and keep you fit and healthy.
Coconut water: Coconut water has beneficial nutrients that can remarkably benefit you when consumed regularly. It is advised for good health of you and your baby.
Soups and salads: Another form of increasing fluid intake is by consuming soups, and salads. They are not just healthy, but also a delicious way to eat veggies in raw form. To make a healthful salad, add spinach, celery, broccoli, beans, broccoli, sprouted legumes, beet root, pomegranate seeds, and nuts with olive oil dressing. Sprinkle a few healthy spices like black pepper, black salt, lemon juice, oregano to make it delicious, and fulfilling.
Tips to include water in your diet
- A good way to include water is by keeping a water bottle close to the place where you spend most of the day. If you are a working woman, you can keep it at your desk. Keep it at a place that is easy to reach and in your sight.
- Do not drink a lot of water after having food as it will slow down the digestion process.
- The best thing is to do is to begin your day with warm water. When you drink it on an empty stomach in the morning detoxifies your body, and relieves you from constipation.
- Alcohol, caffeinated drinks like tea, and coffee, processed drinks like fruit squash, and fizzy drinks, are not advised in pregnancy as they are rich in sugar and carbs that can harm your and your baby’s health. These drinks leave you dehydrated.
Staying hydrated is very important during pregnancy. Consume right fluids, at right time to ensure best health and smooth execution of pregnancy.