Week 03 starts from 22nd to 28th since the first day of the last period.
The embryo attaches to the mother’s uterine wall to get ready for the magical journey for the next 9 months. The baby has started communicating with mom through metabolism that the mother hasn’t noticed yet. However, a dotted blood pregnancy sign or two faint lines on the pregnancy test can be considered clear evidence at this time
How does the baby grow?
A lot of strange things happen in mom’s womb. The baby is now just like a small balloon with a few hundred cells rapidly dividing. Once this “balloon” implants in the uterus, part of it develop and become placenta, then begins to produce the hCG hormone. This hormone tells the ovaries to stop ovulation but continues to produce estrogen and progesterone to maintain the uterine chorion with the tiny “passenger” residing on it. At this point, a simple pregnancy test can tell you the good news, but it is usually better to wait a few more days for a more accurate result.
Amniotic fluid begins to accumulate around the embryo to form amniotic sac – a comfortable cushion for the baby in the months and weeks inside the womb. Right now, the embryo metabolizes with the mother body (taking oxygen and nutrients, and disposing of the waste through the early circulatory system made up of tiny capillaries that hold the baby to the blood vessels on the wall of the uterus.
Changes occurring in the mother’s body during the 3rd week of pregnancy
So the magical encounter between the egg and the sperm took place, the fertilized egg implanted in mom’s womb and started growing. The baby is slowly taking shape. In reality, moms may not know they are pregnant but they may notice some blood seeping because the egg digs into the uterine lining (this process starts on the 6th day after conception). Not all mothers pay attention to this phenomenon.
Some women may know they are pregnant before taking the pregnancy test basing on the following early signs:
- Chest fullness and pain
- Sudden tiring though not doing anything too much
- Continuous urination
- Being sensitive to smell
- Fear of food
- Nausea and vomiting: Morning sickness is still a few weeks away, but some women can “experience” this early.
- High body temperature
- Bleeding or blood seeping
Don’t rush to try pregnancy test as its results at this time are not accurate, so it is best to use the test strips when late menstruation occurs
Activities mom should do this week
- Buy a pregnancy test kit and take the test when moms don’t see the next period (next week or next two weeks after ovulation). It’s best to take it early in the morning when moms just wake up.
- Reduce caffeine consumption (in coffee, tea, chocolate, etc)
- Talk to the doctor about medication use during pregnancy.
- Eat a healthy, nutritious and balanced diet.
- Do not exercise excessively.